Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Day of School

Summer break is already over, and I thought I was more than ready for John to go back to school--he's been really hyper and wild lately--but, this morning I find myself only now recovering from a complete breakdown. I was fine on the way to school. Fine when I dropped him off at carpool (although this is what the breakdown results from). I was fine when I had to go in to get a carpool sign that I did not receive at orientation. And I was fine when I walked back out to the car. It probably didn't help that Dr. Steve said, "No tears here--that's good!" as I walked out to the parking lot.

And then I fell to pieces. I didn't get to say goodbye--they had instructions when I dropped him off at carpool, and I had some questions about those instructions. I didn't even get to see him walk off, to make sure he was ok. All I remember was John's confused face when they opened the door. Oh how I wish I had gone inside to drop him off! But I thought I was making it easier on both of us. Apparently not (at least on my end).

So, now I am home, and sad. I look at his Bebe (his lovey) and worry that he doesn't have it and might need it. I'm worried because he told me he had a tummy ache this morning, and I attributed it to all the black beans and blueberries he's been eating lately. I gave him gas drops and went on without thinking. Now, I think, oh my goodness, he was nervous! And I didn't kiss him and make him better!

Alright, someone put me out of my misery. Tell me it's just pregnancy hormones, knock me out, and wake me up when you have a feast ready for me to eat :) Oh, and some chocolate, please.

To make me feel better, here is John with his teachers, Mrs. Kerri and Mrs. Linda. This was at orientation Monday night (where I took a pic so that I could do carpool this morning, and make a clean break--which didn't turn out so clean after all).


See how happy he looks? He didn't want to leave. When Rob and I came back to get him after our meeting, he instructed me to leave. "I at school, you s'posed to go home. Come back later." Surely he adjusted quickly this morning and went to his room happy.

Here he is on our front stoop this morning.



He seems a head taller this year, and a lot more grown up. Check out last year's photo:


I'm going to make it--I promise. I just can't believe how time flies!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this...I'm sure just getting out your emotions helped a lot!

    John sounds a lot like Brennan, so I can almost completely assure you that he adjusted much better than you this morning, probably playing within seconds of arriving at school without a care in the world!

    And, yes, your pregnancy hormones are likely adding to your emotional distress, though they always say sending kids to school is hardest on Mom (and I would agree...been there myself)!

    You'll be fine...but it would be nice to get an update once John gets home :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli, you are hormonal. :) Just playing, you are just doing what a loving mom is suppose to do. And you are prepping yourself for Kindergarten where it gets real. He is a little social boy, he will do fine...that is, unless someone teases him! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sweet boy! He looks so grown up with his big backpack on!
    I'm sure he just ran in and got over it very quickly with all the fun things they probably had planned. I know he'll be excited to see his momma pick him up, though.
    And speaking of pregnancy, can we get an update with some pictures or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me a little teary myself! I don't do well with the "little boys becoming big boys" thing. He does look so grown up with his back pack on! How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Alli...it is so hard to let them be "big boys" but as mommy's we have to! :) Let us know how his first day was!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one made me cry!!! :) I'm such a big crybaby anyway! I would have been in tears myself! I don't blame you.

    I wanted to ask...Is that Kerri Echols? My step-sister Christy (Goldman) use to go to highschool with her and so did my old best friend Brooke May. If it's the same one, she would have gone to Pinson High School. Like everyone says, small world! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete