Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bad news... again

Once again, we've had a contract fall apart on our house. We were in the middle of negotiations, and the buyer walked. Rather than come back with a counter, or insist on her original request, she just walked. The inspection turned up nothing, except that our hot water heater and AC/furnace were near their life. She asked that we replace them, and we countered with a 1-year warranty. We didn't hear anything for days, until our agent received a fax for the disbursement of the earnest money. Apparently, nothing she said changed their minds to come back to the table.

I can't imagine how someone from out-of-state (as far as Cali) could just stop negotiations and start searching for another house. Once we knew how insistent she was, we were willing to replace the AC and water heater. But, that didn't even bring her back. I know it's a buyer's market, but are you just supposed to hand over your right arm without negotiating at all?

So, now we're 0-2, which looks really bad. And yet, neither were really our fault (the first buyer's house didn't appraise for what she needed, so she couldn't get financing to buy our house). I have no nice comments or deep thoughts, because my stomach is still on the floor, flipped over, and I haven't screwed my jaw back in yet.

5 comments:

  1. Booo...I can't believe she didn't say I'll take it after you guys said Okay, we'll replace it. This economy is about to drive me CRAZY! Spend money people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! I'm still in shock that you had to return the earnest money, given that you passed inspection, offered a one-year warranty (which I think is generous enough) AND offered to replace the units. I thought that was the purpose of earnest money, to bind the contract unless something unforeseen should happen. So sad for the bad luck you're having...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! Something else must have spooked her or she found something else she liked better. Sounds like she was just looking for a way out. I think the one year warranty was VERY generous and you should not have to replace anything that is still in working order!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jenn--coming from a realtor, that makes me feel better. We sort of thought that same thing.

    Sharon, believe me--we feel the same way. But, because she never signed the paper where we came back and offered to replace the stuff, she's not required to leave the earnest money with us. (Last time, the same thing happened and the chick got her money back too... earnest money must not mean a thing.)

    Allison, I'm with you. If you got money, then spend it, people. We're the reason it's still so bad out there! Although, I think part of the reason is the credit-lovers and the businesses who assume business should grow by 20% every year. I mean, really? 20%? Yeah, Rob doesn't get a 20% raise every year, so we're not buying 20% more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear. We will be praying...

    ReplyDelete