Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Invitation to Bible scholars

Here's the drill: In January, Makita USA put up a contraption that hasn't been seen for at least half a century anywhere in the world--a guillotine. Well, their contraption was more abstract than concrete, but it sure worked just as well on Rob's job. And they pretty much lined up a bunch of people, just like during the Reign of Terror.

Yes, that's right, we are now a part of the unemployed group. Although I was not working outside the home, I was working inside the home (saving money on childcare and eating out), so Rob's income was "our" income. And besides that, the fact that we are both actively looking for jobs at the moment would mean that both of us are technically unemployed.

This is week 3 of Rob being home. He had several interests at one point, and our hopes were high. But, we have recently found out that one interest has declined (the company is on a hiring freeze), and the company Rob interviewed with Monday has gone with a prospect who has more industry experience. So, we have two interests left: one which Rob will interview for on Thursday, and another which is moving very slowly.

I know that our hope rests in our Omniscient God, and not in these earthly opportunities. And I can feel that we are in God's hands, because He has provided so many signs along the way. But every now and then, Satan gets in a little attack of panic.

Still, I see this as an opportunity for God to reveal who He is and how mighty He is. One of the ways God communicates to us is through His Word, and another way is through our fellow believers. So, I want to open the floor to Bible scholars, fellow Christians, and anyone who feels they have a word of encouragement from our Father for us. I'm posting this here, and not sending out an email, because I want to have this forever--to remember what we felt like in this moment, to see how our friends encouraged us, and to look back after we are in a better place to see exactly what our awesome God did for us.

Please share with us your favorite promises in the Word or any verses God lays on your heart. Thanks in advance for praying and for sharing. We love and treasure you all!

5 comments:

  1. What a humble and positive outlook on your situation...KNOWING that God is going to move and expecting it.

    "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
    Deut. 31:8

    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
    Jer. 29:11-13

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some verses that were encouraging to us when we were paying 2 mortgages for a while! Its amazing what God can do with so little each month! Keep tithing and watch to be amazed at God's faithfulness!

    Psalm 37:25
    I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.

    Philippians 4:6
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

    Philippians 4:19
    And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Alli and Rob,
    What a great attitude to have in such a tough situation. We will be praying for you guys.

    Matthew 6:25-34
    "Don't worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the sky: they don't sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your hevenly Father feeds them. Aren't you worth more than they?...your heavenly Father knows that you need [food and clothes]. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you. Therefore, don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we used to talk about how similar we were. I tend to stress a lot! These verses and prayer have helped me in the past.
    Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

    Dear Lord, help me fight the temptation to scheme and fret, rather than resting in your sovereign provision. Help my impatient heart trust your unfailing love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alli, I was going to add Psalm 37:25 but it looks like someone already added it. So I second that one. :) I am praying for you guys. Love you!

    ReplyDelete